HISTORY OF BUKIT TIMAH SADDLE CLUB
The Singapore Turf Club (STC) was formed as early as 1842 by Scottish businessman and the chairman of Singapore Chamber of Commerce William Henry Macleod Read.
Singapore’s first horse racing track and stand was built in present-day Farrer Park, and the first race took place in 1843. Being an amateur sport during that era, the grounds were also used for grazing sheep and golfing activities on the non-racing days.
Singapore Turf Club purchased part of Bukit Timah Rubber Estate in 1927 and the new racecourse at Bukit Timah, Singapore’s second, was completed six years later.
However, the racing activities were soon disrupted by World War II, and it was not until 1960 before races restarted and were opened to the public.
Horse racing proved to be so popular that two giant grandstands were built to accommodate 50,000 spectators.
Bukit Timah Saddle Club was set up in 1951 at the nearby Fairways Drive, allowing retired race horses to be re-trained in other skills such as show jumping or dressage.
In 1999, the Singapore Turf Club moved the race track to a state of the art facility in Kranji and since then, Bukit Timah Saddle Club has evolved to become one of leading equestrian facilities in Singapore offering dressage, showjumping and cross country as well as career training for horse grooms and riding instructors.
In 2012, BTSC became a British Horse Society (BHS) approved riding centre, livery centre, training centre and facility centre.
In 2015, BTSC became a BHS approved examinations centre.